Total Pageviews

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Easy A

With a high rating on rottentomatoes and my desire to laugh at a film, Easy A seemed like a great choice to watch. A pretty strong cast including Penn Badgley (Dan from Gossip Girl), Cam Gigandet (Vulchok from the OC) and notably Lisa Kudrow, who I don't need to tell you was Phoebe in Friends, I was expecting to be very impressed.

The story is narrated by main character Emma Stone, who plays Olive, and recaps the eventful last few weeks of her life at high-school as the Rumour Mill puts her firmly in the social spotlight. I was slightly hesitant as it could have been overly "chick-flicky" but to my joy it was not. I LOLed on several occasions, most notably a line from Olive's father(Stanley Tucci) and her adopted brother. Hilarious I assure you

It seemed a little as though Olive was a mimic of Stone's character from smash-hit Superbad but it didn't detract from her likeability too much, although she did seem a bit too clever for her age. Her intellect and use of vocab, which at many times went over my head, was strange considering how she acts in parts but I guess it might be trying to convey the personality confusion most, if not all, adolescents face. There were none of the usual stereo-types in the school which was refreshing. No token black guy, no token geek and not really a token "hottie". Instead the kids were much more realistic which in my opinion was a great thing because it made for a slightly more sophisticated comedy and makes Easy A an unusual version of a common story.


An over-religious Amanda Bynes as God-worshipper Marianne did grate a little toward the end but provided laughs for the most part. It was very polished and I think would even appeal to some adults. Olive's parents were very amusing, even if sometimes it was trying to be too funny, brought some substance to the story which made me care what was going on as supposed to simply finding it funny and s the film finished I was smiling and wishing it wasn't.

Easy A is a slightly different take on the high school comedy and well worth a DVD night in with friends. I laughed and chuckled for 90 minutes and overall I'd give it a poetically ironic A....

No comments:

Post a Comment