Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 March 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer

Thinking of Matthew McConaughey being a serious, hard-nosed lawyer filled me with hesitant anticipation but the trailer looked solid and I was hooked. As it turns out McConaughey's character, slick talking Mick Haller isn't all that different from the people he's played before, just with fewer jokes and less love of the ladies.

Based on a Michael Conolly novel of the sort I am a sucker for, I was very confident I'd enjoy the film and I did. It was very slick, interestingly filmed with some gorgeous shots of Beverly Hills and had plenty of plot turns which kept me thinking throughout. It centres around lawyer Haller who is chosen by millionaire playboy Louis Roulet (Ryan Phillipe) to defend him in a GBH case against a prostitute. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take the route I cockily predicted in my head and there was genuine tension and intrigue throughout.

The main attraction for most would be seeing how McConaughey would adapt to an all together more serious role. I am a fan of his anyway but I think I can impartially say he was very good. Haller was likeably arrogant, showing just enough vulnerability to be sincere and seemed like an all round "cool guy" despite his dubious past. I enjoyed his relationship with his driver, Earl, with whom he had some solid banter. Phillipe was his usual lock-jawed self but was convincing as one of those rich pricks who have it all and I had one of those moments when you're watching a film and for a second you shimmy in your seat  and adjust position and feel like you've just been sucked out of the film for a moment. An obvious sign that I was "emotionally involved" with the characters.

One thing that hugely confused me was the time period it was in. It's obviously set in 2011 but the opening scenes shows his Lincoln car (which to my slight curiosity had no relevance to anything at all) shot very classically and it just felt like it was set in the 80s or something. I can't really explain why so you'll have to make up your own mind but it just felt slightly odd.

All in all, McConaughey was very good, helped by good efforts from his supporting cast, and the film carries alot of interest. I didn't want it to end but was very satisfied after it did. A very good crime/drama/thriller with enough character development to be drawn into the film. Lincoln Lawyer is definitely guilty of being a good film. Sentenced to a DVD re-watch.....

No comments:

Post a Comment